Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Over the Hill...?

Almost. Okay, so maybe I’ve got a ways to go.

This actually has nothing to do with my age, or your age.

I was reading through a list of Bible verses today and came across:

Mark 11:22-23.

Have faith in God. Truly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, “Be taken up and cast in the sea,” and doubt not in his heart, but believes that what he says is going to happen, it shall be granted him.

Wow.

This summer has been a season of testing. Testing my faith. Testing my trust. And testing my dependency on God.

Why God? I’ve asked many times… You know I put my trust in you, right?

He replied…

Yes my child, but you haven’t put all your trust in me,
You’re still doubting
Let it go, my sweet daughter
Trust me; I will take care of you
Have faith that is unwavering, faith that moves mountains…

Yes Father, I’m giving it all to you, have your way, Lord…

Why would I doubt God? Why do we doubt God? Haven’t we been told to Trust in the Lord and lean on Him? I know I was taught that as a child, just as I was taught how to tie my shoes. I was given the instructions and… practice made perfect... I did it! I tied my shoes!

So, why do I struggle with trusting and following my God? I’ve been given the guidelines, the instructions, I press into the Word, I pray, I lean on Him…. Isn’t that enough, God?

No. It’s not. Not when we make it a chore. Like a puppy that knows if he goes potty outside, he’ll get a treat. If we think that way then we don’t really mean what we’re doing. We’re only doing whatever it is to check off another task on our ‘To Do’ list.
That’s when things become bitter and we get frustrated with God.

Why? Because you’re not really pressing into Him.

You’re not building a solid relationship with Him… not depending on Him to take full control.

So many times I think I can do things on my own. No help, no advice. I remember once when I debated with God and finally told him I didn’t need his help. Boy, oh boy, that got me nowhere.

Humble yourself, my child... the Lord said to me.

Which brought me to my knees, and gave me a whole new outlook on the way things should be.

Why is it so hard to put all our dependency in our Sweet Savior?

Because the enemy finds his way into our situations, he loves when we’re down and out. He rejoices in our suffering and hates when we’re happy. He’ll try everything he can to distort our thinking and ruin our relationships. He is the father of lies. When he knows I am doubting, he takes that and runs with it, he tries his hardest to play with my mind. We shouldn’t let him win.

Seek the Lord in these times, only He can turn your thoughts into goodness. Let Him control your thinking. Cling to the Lord, rest in His presence and let His peace take over your mind.

So, where does Over the Hill fit into this? Good question…

Every time I think of the Over the Hill phrase, I picture a person climbing the side of a mountain. Inch by inch, over the rocks, sometimes boulders, but by pressing forward and moving through the rocky patches, they finally reach the top.

Now, with the whole age thing, people say once you reach the top, it’s all down hill from there.

Not true. Not in my illustration.

In this season of my life, through all the rocky patches, all the testing, I know I’m getting closer and closer to the top of my hill. Scratch that, it’s been a mountain. A steep, rocky, incline. Even though I felt more like I was repelling, God’s been on the other end of the rope, pulling me closer and closer to Him.
That’s only because I allowed Him to take full control, put my faith in Him, am believing this mountain will be moved, and I will overcome whatever situations come my way.

By this, my faith has been made stronger.

…Delight yourself in the Lord; and He will give you the desires of your heart…
Psalms 37:3-5
*I know I dove into this, I will introduce myself in a later blog. This has been on my heart and mind and I wanted to share.*

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, when the student becomes the teacher and the teacher becomes the student. Thanks for teaching me Christina!
I love ya,
Mrs. Heyworth

Janine said...

Wow! "I stand amazed in His presence!" You are such an enouragement and testimony to the faithfulnes of our Saviour!
Love you always, Mom
P.S. Keep writing!!!! You have an amazing gift.

Christina Joy said...

Thank you both!
Love and miss you both!

Mrs. Heyworth, I'm so glad you're on here too! Next time I come in town I want to see you, I keep telling myself that, but I haven't been home in a while..(sorry mom :))

ok well, keep reading, and hopefully i can keep up my writing!

Thanks for the encouragement...