Friday, July 31, 2009

Believe

Morgan: I can't do this!

Christina: Don't say you can't, you can, don't give up.

Morgan: But it's too hard.

Christina: Keep trying, you will be proud of yourself once you complete it.

Morgan: I guess.

Andrew: Believe that you can and you will do it, Morgan. You have to believe.

I think we all know where I'm going and could go with this blog. Really, I could just leave it as it is and not write anything else. But what fun would that be? Let me elaborate a little on this subject before I have to go and interrupt a disagreement or console a crying child.

Perseverance. Endurance. Pushing through the hard stuff.

Humility. Laying it all down and saying, "I can't do this without you, Lord."

Hearing Andrew tell his big sister you have to believe, Morgan, was so great to hear. I always tell them don't give up. Believe that you can do it. I envisioned Andrew meaning, believe that the Lord will help you. You can't give up when things get hard. That's the test. I had the privillege of being at an amazing conference last Saturday and the last speaker said,

"If you give up when things get hard, you're just going to have to start from the beginning again."

Sooo true.

If I had let Morgan give up what she was doing today and not strive to succeed she would've probably gone on to believe that giving up is okay. So, I told her I would help her, but I wanted her to do most of it. We worked together and all we had to do was tweak one or two things.

That's what usually happens and it's good to have people in our lives who help stand beside us and believe with us.

The speaker at the conference gave us a great example of this. He used the illustration of learning to swim in the deep end when he was younger. He had to show the lifeguard that he was ready. He started swimming and his friend was right beside him.

He got halfway and started thinking,

"I don't think I can do this, I'm getting tired".

He started to slow down.

His friend started cheering for him saying,

"You can do it! I know you can! Don't get up, you're almost there!"

I know I need this in life. I need people to tell me to keep pushing on, to lay it all down before the Lord and know that I can't do it all by myself. I was re-reading my last blog and I was started lecturing myself cause, like a friend said, I'm not a super hero, so I should stop trying to be. I can't fix peoples problems and situations as much as I would like to.

But I can be a friend and someone who is by their side cheering them through the ups and downs.

Thank you, Jesus.

No comments: