Monday, July 20, 2009

How Big is God?

I just want to say that I love my job. I find it one of the most rewarding things I have done in awhile. I have never had a job where I couldn't wait to get there in the morning and I missed while I was gone over the weekend, until now. I have been blessed with a great family and 2 kids who I just love... I keep thinking, Lord, why am I learning all of this right now? I have learned so much through the kids, Morgan and Andrew. They teach me just as much as I am teaching them.

Today was the start of a new week and a new summer day camp. This certain camp has been the most looked forward to of all the camps they have done, and let me tell you, they have done a LOT. This camp is a 45 minute drive for us so we have time in the car to talk, think, and laugh together. And add a few, "Please don't hit your sister" ... or "Please leave him alone" ... but it all works out in the end.

This morning we were driving along listening to praise and worship music and Andrew, who is 7, said,

"Christina, I can't wait to get to Heaven, can you?"

I responded,

"It's definitely something I look forward to, Andrew. Why can't you wait?"

He began,

"Cause we'll get to see what Jesus looks like and I just can't wait!"

So I asked,

"What do you guys think Jesus looks like?"

They responded quickly,

"He's tall, strong, brown hair, and a beard."

Just as I always imagined Him at that age (7 and 10). I still wonder and change my opinion from time to time. I'm just thankful He will never change as much as we may change our opinions of Him. He stays the same.

As I was paying attention to driving and trying not to get lost in the country, trying to find this beloved camp, I listened to Morgan and Andrew talk about how big God is. My ears perked up.

"Morgan, God is bigger then we are."

"Really, Andrew, God is so much bigger than that."

"I know, Morgan, He's bigger than how far China is to Australia."


A smile crept across my face as I listened even closer...

"Andrew, God is much bigger, He is bigger than the world. He is bigger than the whole universe."

Silence.

They quickly changed the subject to finding camp.
"Are we there yet??" "Are we lost?" "Do you know where we are going?"

I was still lost in the previous conversation. I found myself talking to the Lord and asking for forgiveness. I forget how big He is. How powerful He is. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. But sometimes I think that my way is always better, but when I stop and think about it, God is so much bigger than our problems. He has more power then we could ever imagine. I used to sit and think about Heaven and spending eternity with the Lord. I used to get mad cause my mind would keep going and going, and I couldn't find an end to it. I always thought, it has to end at some point. But it doesn't and neither does His love, His forgiveness, or His power, mercy or grace. These aren't the only things He is capable of, but to me... well...

He is more than words.


We finally arrived at camp. After having to turn around because we missed the hidden sign. Which was behind a bush!

I signed them into camp and found their counselors. I bent down, gave them each a hug.

"I hope you guys have so much fun today! I want to hear all about it, K?"

"We will! OK! See you later, Christina!"
Morgan said.

"Okay, I'll have fun, Christina, but I'll miss you" said Andrew.

"I'll miss you too, Buddy!" I replied, as I turned and started walking towards the car.

"No, I'll miss you more" Andrew insisted.

I turned around and smiled at him and waved "bye".


I always find God in those sweet, small moments with the kids. And I thank God for that. I know that it's Him instilling strength, widsom, and confidence in who I know my God to be. Being able to share that with the kids is exciting for me. I'm constantly praying and asking God to help me do and say the right things. I feel such a responsibility in helping raise and instill values into their lives. I want to make sure that I'm doing it in the right way.

Father, thank you for this opportunity, give me wisdom that comes from you. That way I'll know how to handle certain situations and questions that occur.

I will try and do better at posting more of my stories with Morgan and Andrew. I have so many tucked away in my memory already.

But for now, I must sleep. Day #2 at camp tomorrow!











No comments: